Are you preserving your congregational history for the benefit of future generations? Find out the best steps for storing, preserving, and describing the historical records of your congregation. John Beatty, certified genealogist and senior librarian with the Genealogy Center of the Allen County Public Library, leads this luncheon.
Cost: $10 per person
Best for: Historic congregations who wish to learn how to better curate their history. Also beneficial for newer congregations to learn what kinds of information to begin collecting.
Intended Outcomes: You will learn about the steps necessary for preserving parish registers, historical photographs, and many other sources created by a congregation. You will also be shown how preserved items can be displayed on an archival website.
Outline of the day:
- What to do with your stuff?
- Definition and purpose of archives
- Developing a statement of purpose
- Congregational records to keep and discard
- Where to locate an archives
- Developing policies for archives
- Access and use policy
- Creating a guide or finding aid
- Archival supply vendors