Effective communications is less about sending the right message and more about releasing the right response. Do you know the difference? More often than we realize, people aren’t looking for more information—they’re looking for ways to make sense of the information they already have. Many times, instead of helping people with relief from overload, we just throw more on the pile and add to the confusion.
This workshop is for you as a clergy leader, creative professional, ministry leader or volunteer looking for ways to get your message out to where your audience connects, whether that is online or off.
Communications leader Kem Meyer facilitates this workshop. She doesn’t focus on short-term, quick-fix solutions, but rather on connections that can make lasting changes. She explores the causes of communications barriers for your congregation. Meyer will address these issues:
- Brand Barriers: Identify barriers to effective communications and what it takes to eliminate them.
- Clarity: Discover fresh perspectives and smart approaches that help you do more with less.
- Best Practices: Organize information around strategy for different audiences and channels (e.g., web, design, video, print, social media, etc.).
- Teamwork: Encourage buy-in, team-building, volunteer engagement and collaboration.
- Change Management: Navigate the soft skills of leading up, casting vision and the power to propose inside growth and culture change—inside and out.
- Confidence: Look ahead at new techniques and technologies to determine what makes sense for your congregation.
Kem Meyer is a recovering corporate spin doctor who left her high-falutin’ job and Wall Street stock options to help lead communications at her local church. An outsider who’s pierced the church insider bubble, Meyer offers a well-rounded communications perspective rooted in strategic simplicity. With tours of duty on both sides of the for-profit/ non-profit divide, Meyer is a seasoned consultant uniquely equipped to carry best practice communications strategies into any environment.
This workshop is 9 a.m.-4 p.m. (Eastern time) Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at Westside Community Church in Columbus and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. (Central time) Thursday, September 12, 2019 at First Christian Church in Newburgh. The cost is $30 per person. When congregational teams of three or more register together, the cost is discounted to $25 per person. This fee includes continental breakfast, lunch and a copy of Meyer's book Less Chaos, Less Noise.
Workshops limited to Indiana congregations.
How can you maximize your learning in this workshop and others? Check out this Center for Congregations article, "Getting the Most from an Education Event."