Helping you connect with young adults
The Indianapolis Engaging Young Adults (EYA) Initiative is a special learning community opportunity for select congregations to learn about deepening relationships with young adults in their 20s and early 30s both within and beyond their faith communities. The EYA Initiative includes a learning phase, a piloting phase, and a grant project phase.
The Center for Congregations will lead participating congregational teams through these three phases. Participating congregations will:
- practice ways of engaging young adults in empathetic conversation for the purpose of understanding their lives and building relationships.
- share and interpret young adult experiences, needs, and perspectives across the wider congregation.
- connect the congregation’s deepest faith commitments with young adult experience and need.
- follow the lead of young adults in piloting ministry projects.
- develop ministries that enhance and enrich young adults’ religious lives.
Each congregational team will join a learning cohort with other congregations in the initiative.
In the grant phase of the initiative, participating congregations will be considered for matching grants of up to $30,000 to fund developing ministries with young adults. For purposes of this initiative, young adults are ages 20-34. Ministries with teens or with and for the children of young adult parents are not included.
Who may apply
Congregations in metro Indianapolis (Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan, and Shelby counties) are eligible to apply for this initiative. Congregations in other Indiana counties were previously offered a similar EYA opportunity.
Applications can only be accepted from individual congregations. Schools, campus ministry groups, faith-based non-profits, judicatories or groups of congregations are not eligible to apply.
How to apply
- Familiarize yourself with the initiative and with the application by attending an Information Session in Indianapolis or by viewing the on-demand video Information Session.
- Download the application, and review the questions.
- Gather a group of interested persons in your congregation to discuss the questions before designating someone to write the application. This is an important step.
- Contact the Center for Congregations if you have questions about the program or the application process.
- Mail completed, signed application to:
Center for Congregations
303 N Alabama St, Suite 100
Indianapolis IN 46204
- All applications must be postmarked no later than May 1, 2019.
You can download the application and instructions here. This information will be posted February 1. For additional information, please contact EYA Coordinator Wendy McCormick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812.618.2012, x 1308.
EYA Initiative timetable
February 1, 2019 Program materials and application available
February 5, 2019 EYA Initiative Information Session, 5-7 p.m.
February 6, 2019 EYA Initiative Information Session, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
May 1, 2019 Program application deadline
June 1, 2019 Congregations notified of program acceptance
Summer 2019 Participating congregations complete first assignment
August 28, 2019 Learning Community day 1, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Fall 2019 Participating congregations complete next assignment
November 20, 2019 Learning Community day 2, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Winter 2020 Participating congregations complete next assignment
April 22, 2020 Learning Community Day 3, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Summer 2020 Participating congregations develop grant projects
September 15, 2020 Grant application first draft deadline
October 31, 2020 Grant application deadline
December 1, 2020 Project implementation begins
*November 3, 2021 Closing event, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
November 30, 2021 Projects completed, final reports due
Engaging Young Adults education
Educational opportunities to assist congregations in engaging young adults are available to all congregations in Indiana. There are a number of excellent resources at the Congregational Resource Guide (CRG). Search young adults and millennials.
You can check out the on-demand learning courses here:
There is no charge for these on-demand courses, but registration is required.